IntelliMen Challenge #13
Challenge: Learn to be more of a gentlemen and less of a caveman.
Explanation: Let’s clarify one thing: men are naturally raw, insensitive and a little harsh. Sensitivity is not their forte. In a way, this is exactly what makes him a man, just like being feminine and delicate makes a woman a woman. But this doesn’t mean that our rough nature can’t be polished and refined so that we become good mannered men – all the while retaining our masculinity. Don’t worry, we don’t want to turn you into a metro-sexual. (That would get you kicked out of IntelliMen…)
What is chivalry? Basically it is when a man is conscious of others and treats them well, especially (but not exclusively) women. This week I want you to look for ways to practice being a gentleman through small gestures and habits. Here is a list of things a gentleman does:
- Holds the door open for a woman and lets her go first
- Opens the car door for his wife and other women
- Gives up his seat for a woman
- Never takes inappropriate glances at women (not his woman)
- Stands when greeting a woman
- Offers to take any heavy bags or boxes that a woman is carrying
- Helps women take their seat by pulling out the chair
- Holds a woman’s umbrella in the rain
- Say’s “please,” “thank you,” and “excuse me”
- Doesn’t chew with his mouth open, especially gum
- Is clean and takes care of his nails, hair, beard, body odor, clothes, breath (keeps breath mints handy) and has regular dentist visits
- Maintains good posture
- At the table he allows women to serve themselves first and begins to eat only after the women have begun
- Closes the toilet seat after use
- Does not shout and bring attention to himself unless absolutely necessary
- Never uses a cellphone during a meeting where the speaker expects him to be paying attention. If he absolutely needs to take a call, he always says “excuse me” before answering and tries to be as brief as possible.
- When walking with a woman on the sidewalk, he always walks on the side closest to the street
- Never boasts about his newest, top of the line gadget
- Acts his age. He doesn’t behave immaturely, no matter the time or the place.
I hope you do some of these things already. Go over this list and identify where you need to improve. Feel free to add things not on the list.
Notebook: Copy and paste the list above on how to behave like a gentleman in your notebook, for future reference.
Official Partner: Talk to your partner about what you currently do and what you need to do in order to be more of a gentleman.
Deadline: You may begin working on this task immediately and complete it before beginning Challenge #14. Spend one week on this. Obviously, you should make this task a part of your normal behavior. It will always benefit you.
IntelliMen Challenge #13 done: After working on being more of a gentleman… (Add your comments; mention what someone said if they noticed something you did.)
☐ I began to behave more like a gentleman and less like a caveman
☐ I copied the list to my Notebook
☐ I spoke to my Partner about the challenge
☐ I posted my comment on Facebook/Twitter
To make a fine gentleman, several trades are required, but chiefly a barber. – Oliver Goldsmith