The first step to eliminating pride is to recognize where it has worked in you. If you did a TAO 9, then the first step has already been taken. Now it’s time for the second step, which is where a proud person doesn’t allow herself to do… that’s why her pride is not eliminated at once.
Pride comes only goes away with humility, just as a darkness only disperses with light. But humility is not what most people think it is… being poor, living a simple life or being nice to people around you. Humility happens inside of you, just as pride does.
It’s easy to be “humble” on the outside, you just have to pretend! But true humility comes from inside. It happens within you and it overflows to the exterior through praiseworthy behavior.
The greatest example of humility was in the Lord Jesus…
- He was not prejudiced. He walked with everyone and did not consider Himself better than or superior to anyone (although He was). He even suffered prejudice from many.
- He was patient and understanding with people. He understood the reason why they did what they did and He would not judge them for that. On the contrary, they felt at ease with Him.
- He would not impose his authority as the Son of God on anyone, and even so, people recognized it by the life He led.
- He would teach. Those who teach are humble. Many don’t teach but want people to learn, to know and to understand.
- He would keep His spiritual dependence. He would not pray only at lunchtime or when things did not go well for Him, but during the whole day. He would depend on God.
- He would maintain friendships. The Lord Jesus insisted on having friends, on walking with people. He would not isolate Himself from them because they did not have the same understanding He did or by assuming that He was more intelligent than them.
- He was keen on teaching His disciples to do the same and be even more than Him!
- Although He was God, He came into the world as a man and submitted Himself to a woman, whom he called mother, to a human body and to live as a carpenter… without any privileges. He lived like an ordinary man.
That’s why God honored Him. Note that this list shows the humility of spirit in the Lord Jesus. This is not something you can forge, it is what it actually is.
…and before honor is humility. (Proverbs 15.33)
God honors no one who is not humble first. This is the main condition of His honor. But the proud, besides not being honored, are rejected by God.
Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5.5)
You may have noticed that this topic goes completely against everything you’ve learned out there, whether it be on TV, in magazines, websites, books, at school or even at home. What we’ve learned is that we have to be proud of ourselves, to be and have more than others. But with God, things are not like this. In fact, we learn the exact opposite:
- To pray for our enemies.
- To forgive seventy times seven.
- Turn the other cheek, walk an extra mile.
- The last shall be the first.
- The smallest will be the biggest.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, those who mourn, the meek, the merciful, the peacemakers, and those who are injured.
- To have good eyes.
- The less capacity we have, the more capable we’ll be.
- Having nothing is to have everything.
- To live like the wind, without knowing where you’re going.
- Never to weary of doing good.
When we practice the Word of God, we go against our nature and that’s where humility comes in, with the practice of the Word of God. Whether you want to or not, practice it!
For Task as Offering 10, go back to the list you made of proud behavior that people who know you have spoken about and do exactly the opposite. Use a new page from your diary to describe what you will do to go against your pride… would it be asking for help? Asking for forgiveness? To make peace with a person? Is it asking the opinion of someone who knows more than you? Is it to stop raising flags over all the things you think are right?
After doing this task, share with your Friend like Sister the act of humility you will do from now on in order to eliminate the pride you have been carrying inside of yourself.
In the faith and in the Secret Place of the Most High.